Twitter is an amazing communicating tool. Ever since I’ve gotten this blog up and going, I have done a search for “Love Jones” and at least 100 people daily are watching Love Jones. (along with 50 guys reciting the line “I’ve got a love jones for your body and your skin tone…”). But for me, it does define that there is significance in the movie Love Jones, even 14 years after it’s initial release.
While people have their personal preference of favorite movies, Love Jones was like that classic hip-hop album that just seem to evolve and resonate the more I watch. And over the years, I’ve learned the following ten things that may help you in the long run as well.
1) Persistence. You’ll be surprised as to how far it can get you. Persistence can go a long way towards getting what you want, but the opposite sex must have some sort of attraction to you. Otherwise, it’s just stalking.
2) Words matter. Love Jones isn’t a poetry movie. But the words expressed during the course of the movie certainly had meaning. I learned that there is power in words, be it a poem, written letter, or well-crafted direct Twitter message. These words are also fueled by the level of mutual attraction.
3) Hating never wins. Wood was a certified number one hater by all accounts. And I could never figure out why, because it wasn’t as if Darius was stepping all over his toes. But all in all, haters never prosper. And putting negative energy in the atmosphere is almost certain to have an adverse effect on your own life.
4) Women talk about good sex better than men. I mean, I knew they talked. But the framework for which it is spoken surprises me. They are just as detailed as men, and much better salespeople. Which just goes to show that women sell sex much better than men.
5) Ahhh Al Green! You know you can’t go wrong with my man Al Green. A truer statement has never been written. Seriously. Did you see Disappearing Acts (8:00 mark)?
6) Don’t take relationship advice from friends that aren’t in relationships. The thing I found funny in this movie was that the loudest people in this movie (Josie, Sheila and Wood) were the ones NOT in relationships? And throughout the movie, did it cross your mind… “Ahhh, THAT’S why they aren’t in a relationship”. And these are the ones giving advice? Next.
7) “I just wanna come up and talk” actually works! Because if we just wanted to
f*ck talk, then wouldn’t we just keep on talking? There would be no need for proclamation right?
8) Kissing in the rain is overrated. If it is more than a slight drizzle (requiring some sort of umbrella), then anything more than five seconds becomes a mixture of me, you, and whatever has been collected from the Detroit River. And I love romance as much as anyone else… flowers, candy, kisses in the rain… all of that… JUST NOT FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS! THAT’S NOT ME!!!
9) The Slop.
10) That even as real Love Jones felt, love still doesn’t operate like that. Because Physics.ThisSh!tAint. Love. Passion. It is what it is.